Newbie from England

by Charlotte

Hello from the UK! I just found this site and I have to say I am amazed! I never thought there was a fetish for hair!

I used to have pretty long hair as a child (about knee length), but just before high school I had it cut to shoulder length and then later I had it very short as my hairdresser said it would look better and more 'trendy'. I haven't been to a hairdresser since!

I grew it again to below my shoulders and then met my ex, who preferred short hair. For four years he pestered me to cut it or at the very least not grow it any longer and now that we have split up I've decided to grow it again. I don't know where to begin though. I went to my sister's hairdresser and asked for advice and again I was told to just cut it short as long hair isn't fashionable! I've visited a few salons and emailed a couple of places and they always say the same thing, which is useless!

I never made an effort to grow it as a child, it was just less hassle letting it grow than having it cut every fortnight to keep it the same length. But due to my lifestyle now I have to be more careful to keep it in good condition. I also don't know what to do with it at work now that it's longer. How can you look professional AND keep your hair long? It doesn't seem to work.

I'm guessing you guys have researched everything and anything to do with long hair, so do you have any advice? It's currently around waist length (I'm 5'4) and although it's fine and silky, I have a lot of hair, so it looks thicker. It's not wavy or straight - more like 'kinky' - so I don't need to do much with it. I know blow drying, straightening, curling and colouring is bad and so I stay away from that. But what else can I do to stop the ends drying out? The rest of it is very healthy and shiny, except for the last 2-3 inches, which seems to stay dry and blonde even after I've had it trimmed! All the women in my family have silky thick brunette hair and my aunt had it almost ankle length before she got married, so I know the right genes are there!

Also, are there any guys here in the UK? I've never met anyone who didn't find my long hair annoying, so having someone around who appreciated it would be cool!

Anyway, love the pictures on this site - especially the Thai women! How the hell do they get their hair that long!? It's amazing!